Thursday, April 10, 2014

I'm At it Again. There is no treatment, good!




I had these all packed away for safe keeping.
   I have two much time on my hands. I need to get a different hobby. I just can't help myself. What am I supposed to do? These are the statements that I make over and over, when it comes to my antique addiction. And they are all so true.
  Actually most of this newest collection, must have, addiction, has been always setting around. I have just now thought I should man up, build onto and move forward with it.

This one is called,"Luster." Very  had to get the picture right.


   What the HELL am I talking about? My newest collection in the antique world. Hand painted china fruit bowls.These bowls were very popular in Victorian society as wedding gifts. They could be purchased for a small amount and made a very beautiful gift. All homes had a list one. And most of the home makers never used them. They are too nice!!!! They were usually in a prime spot in a china cabinet and there owners were very proud of them. Some home owners kept them locked away, packed to the gills, hoping to keep them from getting chipped or broken. I am glad they felt that way about them as it has preserved them for my generation.
   These bowls are really not, for the most part, hand painted. Most of them are DECALS or TRANSFERS. The trim of the bowl was usually hand painted and some times dew drops and shadows were added by hand after the decal was applied. Gold trim was always done by hand. There were many styles of what you would call blanks. These were made by different companies and each company had there own patterns and trademarks. Decals were designed by artist and sold to companies who transferred them to decals. These bowls were made in many countries, such as, Germany, France, Austria and Prussia . Some were marked on the back,  but many were not. Some of the decals had the artist name on them and that makes them a little more desirable. The RS Prussia ones are usually the most sought after and can be the most pricey. Many years ago when I was a youngin, these bowls could bring a pretty penny. Today they are not thought of as being that valuable and most young people today could care less. I have never bought a bowl because of it's  marking, as much as I have because of it's beauty. There are other collectors that buy only because of the maker.



This one was my Daddy's favorite. It is pretty special.


Another one of my Daddy's. It is so delicate.

One of my favorites. My Daddy found this one also.


   My father had an antique shop many years ago. It was a shock to all of my family. None of knew he even liked dusty old things. One thing he really liked was these hand painted bowls. He used to go to farm auctions and search them out and fight over them with the next bidder. My father never liked to loose, so sometimes he would go overboard to win. I remember when he closed the shop he brought a few of these bowls home with them. They were placed into the china cabinet, for safe keeping, just like most others did. I kept my eyes on them for years. My mother and father divorced after 50 years of marriage. The bowls stayed behind when he left. When my mother died, I asked for them and no one else cared, so they came home with me.




This is one of Ora Bell's, RS Prussia.

Another of Ora Bells. I bought these two for the color, thinking they would go in the dining room. But there is no place to display them.


   I had a dear lady friend. I grew up around her and her children were my age. We went to school together. Ora Bell loved antiques. Maybe that is where some of my collecting comes from. She loved hand painted bowls, especially the RS Prussia ones. She had many, many, many. She also like  white marble top furniture. We used to race to see who had more marble top tables. Ora  Bell never won, really, but I told her a few days before she died that she had passed me up. When she died her two sons asked me to help sale her things. I was thrilled and had a very successful estate sale. I had sold many of these items to Ora Bell from my antique shop. I wanted something to remember her by, sold I bought two of the bowls. Like every body else I took them home and put them in a safe place in the china cabinet.


This beauty has been in the shop for weeks. When I got this latest craz, I brought it home. Glad it was just hanging around.

This beauty was also in the shop. I brought it home last Christmas. Needed something to put strawberries in for a party. It some how never made it's way back into inventory. I guess that is OK, I know the owner!!!!


  When I go to auctions or antique shops today I can not help but be drawn to the hand painted china. Especially the big fruit bowls. If the price is reasonable I usually have to buy it. I put them in the shop and sometimes they even sale. Usually, however, I end up bringing them home. I love them if no one else does.



  These bowls are getting harder and harder to find. I looked on EBAY yesterday and only found a few. The price ranged from $25.00 to $125.00. I was just looking. I usually only strike if the price is really right. The last one I bought at auction sold for $15.00. It seems that the lovers of beautiful old things grows smaller every year.

Don't ya just love these sweet little cabbage roses??


Goose Berries, very rare.No body can have it now.


   I have a plan for my bowl collection. I pulled  these all out the other night. There is a built in shelf in my bed room that could hold something. Who's to say, you can't put hand painted bowls in a bed room? Not me. I need 15, I found 7 just setting around. What will the next one be? Where will it come from? That is the rest of this story. Stay turned for chapter two.



Look at the detail, peach seed and blackberry.



Come by any time for a tour. I always have lights on and Sissy is always at the door with a jump and a kiss. Richard

   PS, Don't tell the rest of my family. They don't understand, but my Daddy did!



Somebody is trying to help me with my habit. They just walked in the door and wanted to sell these. Maybe the add I posted yesterday on Buy Sale and Trade on Facebook had nothing to do with it. make that 9, 6 more to go. Then what????

And your little dog too!

14 comments:

Deanna said...

Dearest Richard,

All of the dishes are gorgeous and you are so lucky to have such pretty ones. I enjoyed your post with very nice pictures of your treasures.

A treat for e to stop by and see.

If it makes you happy to have these beauties in your bedroom than it is a great thing to have where you want them.

Happy decorating and live long,
d

Curtains in My Tree said...

OMGosh Richard you tell the best stories that goes right along with your post. LOL
I love the Ora Bell bowl's the best no offense to your Daddy
another OMGosh your parents divorced after 50 years? that 's a first I bet, I knew a couple who divorced after 35, there is more to the story but I won't spill it out here LOL
I do hope I get to come over for a visit this summer ans see all your beautiful things in the mansion.
Kiss Sissy for me , I am very attached to my happy stray cat since my Sissy died

xoxox to you both

Ann said...

Well your just going to have to host another party!! These would lovely with all sorts of appetizers.
Ann

Anonymous said...

I love these bowls, too. I always buy them when I come across them at low cost, but I can rarely sell them to anyone else. They're so beautiful! Each time I see how the Victorians made everything pretty--even shaving cups or iron tools--and then I compare that to what we have today ... ugly white plates that are square at Target.

Can't wait to see how you display yours. Maybe I should rob my booth of my inventory and display them at home.

I also have the same weakness for those lovely cake plates.

-Deb

Heirloom treasures said...

Richard,I've been drooling over your gorgeous bowls for the last 10mins. I so love them all. You have made me want to find some now. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend ?

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

they are all beautiful ! I think I have about 3 of them, they are hard to find. I love that you will put them in your bedroom, when you wake up and see them they will make you smile !

Divine Theatre said...

I love your stories as much as I love your home...but not as much as I love you and Sissy!

xo

Andie

Kisses to my Sissy!

Sissysmom said...

Hi Richard-

You can never have too many collections! You might want to check out www.shopgoodwill.com they have a couple of these type of bowls for auction this week.

Happy collecting
Michele

Sissysmom said...

Hi Richard-

You can never have too many collections! You might want to check out www.shopgoodwill.com they have a couple of these type of bowls for auction this week.

Happy collecting
Michele

Curtains in My Tree said...

Happy Easter Richard & Sissy
xoxoxoxoxoxooxox

Love Of Quilts said...

Happy Easter!

Unknown said...

i have a small bowel with a advertising on it with the goose berries decal didn't din't know it was rare

Marlynne said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures of Judy's Birthday Dinner. What a thrill that was have been when you opened the doors! Your newest obsession is lovely! I can just imagine how glorious they will look in your bedroom!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

These are beautiful, Richard. I used to collect the dessert plates like these-don't know if I have any left back n the cabinets or not. Still lots of these around in the old homes and shops of Natchez.People there appreciate things like these.