Sunday, January 23, 2011

One for the Maid,Two for the Butler, Three for Tea.



Brass Turtle Servents Bell.
 




Push its head to ring.
  



Or push his tale to ring.
  

Detail of the back.

Just wind it up.

   This little  brass, Turtle Servants Bell ,is one of my favorite things. It was made in India or Turkey ,or some where in that direction. I am not sure of its age.  And I am almost sure ,that it is not as old, as My Old Historic House-1845-1860. But I just love it, and it is always a hit with the tourist who come to tour the house. I keep it on the dining room table, and always some one will ask, "What is that?". I push his head or tail, as they both will make the bell ring, and say, "one for the maid, two for the buttler and three for tea." Sad thing is, no matter how many times I ring it, neither the maid nor the butler comes. I must have a word with the servants.   On the back of the turtle is a beautiful design, carved and painted . There is a wind up on the bottom. It is only 4 inches long, but makes such a big statement. I was at a dear friends house one Christmas for a party and I fell for this little turtle, I could not stop talking about it, or pushing it to make it ring. The hostest at the party ,gifted me with this little toy, the very next year  for Christmas. Sometimes it pays to be foreward!

7 comments:

xinex said...

Thanks for stopping by, Richard and I am so glad you did. I love the turtle butler. What an unusual item, no wonder ir makes such a big statement. It is a conversational piece for sure. Let me know if you ever come here....Christine

Clarksville Living... said...

The designs on the back and craftsmanship look Indian. Lovely piece.
mdbrabo

Divine Theatre said...

Maybe the servants are on their way...thay are turtles, after all!

lvroftiques said...

Too cute Richard! I see why you love it! And yes sometimes it does pay to be forward *winks* Probably more often than not. I also have a servants bell that fails to inspire any sense of urgency in my "servants" aka my three dogs lol! They just look at me like "mama why are you making that annoying noise" haha! I knew Christine would love it here *winks* Vanna

ornamentsbypink said...

That is 2 cute!
Mary

Sea Witch said...

What a sweet little turtle. I love "things" that have a secret or hidden sound. Such fun. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sea Witch

The Rustic Victorian said...

just darling, no servents,,bummer...